OUTINGS ARE A PRIVILEGE OF DPI-SIG MEMBERSHIP
DPI-sIG MEMBERS: Sign-Up For Any and All Outings
There is no limit on most of these DPISIG Member Outings!
RSVP, if Attending to: firstname.lastname@example.org
DPI-SIG Outings Sept & Oct 2013
1. September 21, 2013, Saturday, 6 am, photographing birds, otters, & rancoons at Harns’ Marsh, Fort Myers, FL, sunrises 7:03 am.
Meet at Walmart Parking Lot on Immokalee Road, Naples (near I-75) for car pooling at 6:00 am sharp. We plan to be in position at sunrise. Six DPI-SIG members attended the Scott Kelby Seminar, Shoot Like a Pro, in Miami yesterday. Kelby’s most important point is that “there are only two times to shoot outside for a great photo, dawn and late afternoon. Good photographers eat there pancakes after the sun comes up!!”
Ron will have the special permission paper and the combination to the lock at Harns Marsh so that you will be able to drive 2.0 miles to the other side, park and take shots along the way. This is normally closed to vehicles. Note: the gate will be closed and locked behind us so be prepared to shoot for 1 to 2 hours. Ron will person the gate between 8 am and 9 am. After that you will be locked in!!
I have promised the Lehigh Water District a CD of photos that they can use with your name to decorate their walls. Even if you have good shots from past Harns Marsh trips, please, please, contribute photos!
If you plan to meet us there: This site, located in Lehigh Acres east of Ft Myers, has become known to birders as one of the most accessible places in Lee County to find Snail Kite, Limpkin, and other wading birds. From 1-75, Exit 136, drive east on Colonial/Lee Blvd (CR 884) to Lehigh Acres. Turn left on Sunshine Blvd and drive north past the Able Canal. Just beyond the canal, the road curves and 31st St is on the left. Turn left on 31st and make an immediate right on Ruth St. Drive north on Ruth St to 38th St. Turn left on 38th and drive west to the dirt parking area at the end of the road. There are no restrooms at the site.
You will be back in plenty of time for Joe Fitzpatrick’s Naples Scott Kelby Afternoon Walk which is limited to 50 participants.
2. October 5, 2013, Saturday, 7:30 Pepper Ranch, Immokalee (acres and acres of sunflowers with special early entry permission) sunrises 7:30 am We will be driving, stopping and shooting beside the car at Pepper Ranch, but it may be wet. This was to be the day of the Pepper Ranch Sunflower Festival but, the festival has been canceled. However, DPI-SIG Members have special permission to enter the locked gate at 7:30 am.
Meet at Walmart Parking Lot on Immokalee Road, Naples (near I-75) for car pooling at 6:30 am sharp.
Portable restroom facilities are available at the visitor center, but may not be open when we arrive.
The native yellow sunflowers (Helianthus agrestis) are in full bloom, only in October.
DPI-SIG Member, Peter Gough, says: “I have been to Pepper Ranch in Immokalee several times in the last two years since it was acquired by Collier County. It is well worth the visit if you get there early with deer, wild pigs, and birds.”
If you plan to meet us there: From Immokalee, take SR 29/Main Street north to Lake Trafford Road. Turn right and travel 0.9 miles to Pepper Ranch Preserve. Entrance on the left – 6315 Pepper Road (good GPS address)
================================================== Mark your Calendars ================================
3. November 2, 2013, Saturday, 7:00 am Naples Heart Walk (a DPI-SIG tradition and service project) Need you to photograph, not to walk!! These photos are invaluable to the American Heart Association, AHA, as they are used to give corporate sponsors, in AHA articles and slideshows throughout the year. Last year we had 13 DPI-SIG members generously contribute photos and we hope for more this year. You are needed between 7 and 10 am. As they say in the newspaper business: “f-8 and be there!” Oh, and free food!!
4. November 9, 2013, Saturday, at 8:15 am photographing Kowiachobee animals, (a DPI-SIG tradition and service project) LIMITED TO 30 DPI-SIG MEMBERS, who are willing to contribute their photos to the Kowiachobee Book Project. We will meet at Damaris and Juan’s home at 8:15 am and car pool so that we are at Kowiachobee at 8:30 am. Our trip is lead by Damaris. Damaris and Ron will create the 2014 book, using 2012 and 2013 photos.
5. January 11, 2014, Saturday Morning, photographing Shy Wolf animals, with discarded evergreen backgrounds and new animal coats. This is a DPI-SIG tradition and service project as the photos are used to create their calendar. LIMITED TO 20 DPI-SIG Member Photographers who agree to provide photos without reminders!!!!!
6. February 5 and/or 6, 2014 Wednesday 9:30 am photographing the Miami Zoo — An overnight trip for some. sunrise 7:03 am, sunsets 6:30 pm (considered one of the best zoos to photograph as no fences in the way. However, Ron can not convince them to open early for us – looks like the promise of award-winning photos will not do it!! Hint: With no fences get in shape to run real fast or buddy with someone who runs slower!!!) Leave Miami in time to be back for DPI-SIG Woman’s Club Meeting.
7. March 12, 2014, Wednesday Evening, 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm, Sugden Park, Naples, hoping to photograph a family of woodpeckers, etc. sunsets 7:35 pm. Ron cannot convince birder, Arthur Sissman, to sign a contract guaranteeing woodpeckers again this year!!!
8. April 15, 2014, Tuesday Morning, 8:00 am photographing shore birds, Tigertail Beach, Marco Island. Low tide 8:02 am Sunrise 7:02 am Dawn Breaks 5:43 am. Unlike Arthur Sissman, Ron, personally guarantees the shore birds!!! Pancake time at 9 am